11 Easy Jewelry Care Tips
Protect the beauty, value and extend the life of your favorite jewelry!
- Always put your jewelry on last. Use hair spray, styling gels, lotions, makeup, and perfume beforehand or the chemicals will cloud, pit and discolor your jewelry.
- We recommend that you never place an expensive or sentimental piece of jewelry on a necklace with glued or thinly soldered ends, the risk of damage or loss is too great and many times irreplaceable.
- Remove your jewelry before you shower or bath. Necklace ends that are glued together will erode from the water, causing the ends to unravel and come apart. Soap also clouds jewelry.
- Remove your jewelry before you enter a swimming pool or Jacuzzi. The chemicals used both in the water and floating in the air will discolor Sterling Silver instantly and cause Bronze to permanently tarnish.
- Remove any necklaces before going to bed. Tossing and turning can cause excessive strain on necklaces which can result in kinking, weaknesses and breakage.
- We recommend that you remove your jewelry before undressing. Even though we use thick jump rings, it is a safe habit to adopt that will prevent charms from catching on any materials.
- Jewelry with glued stone settings should never be worn while doing dishes or soaked in a liquid cleaner. The chemicals in the water and cleaner can weaken the glue and loosen your settings.
- Do not wear your jewelry when doing heavy lifting/work, while exercising, working in the yard or outside in the humidity. Humidity and body perspiration will cause jewelry to tarnish.
- Remove your jewelry before using or applying any products that contain chemicals like bleach, ammonia, alcohol, household cleaners, bug sprays, tanning lotions… better safe than sorry if the chemicals would leave your jewelry dull, tarnished, pitted or even beyond repair.
- Store your jewelry in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight and in theair tight baggies provided with your purchase. Do not leave your jewelry lying on the cotton in the gift box. Jewelry box cotton is no longer made from 100% cotton (strange but true fact).
- Check for loose gemstones or any loose parts and have your jewelry repaired right away. Quick inspections and prevention go a long way.